Movie Review: Kinaara (2022)

"Does 'later' ever come?"

    Mahabharat has a small but significant incident. As a routine activity of every morning, Dharamveer Yudhishthira was giving dana to every needy person who came to ask for it. A brahmin reached there late after everything was given. Yudhishthira told him to come back again tomorrow, and the disheartened poor brahmin started to return. Bhima overheard the conversation. He thought of something and started to beat dhol loudly to gather people around. He began to shout about how great trikalgyani Dharamveer Yudhishthira is. When perplexed Yudhishthira asked why he was saying so, Bhima replied that when normal humans don’t even know what will happen in the next moment, Dharamveer Yudhishthira knows what will happen the next day, so it makes him trikalgyani. An intellectual Yudhishthira immediately understood the undertone of sarcasm of Bhima and immediately hurried to the house and granted the brahmin anything he requested. 


    From “if I had more chances, I would be doing something else,” “if I had more time, I would have done better,” “if I had more opportunities, I would be doing something great,” to “let me complete my Ph.D. first, then I will start working on my passion,” “let me get a good job first, then I will think about marriage,” “let me get settle with, then I will do start to travel the places I want to see,” my life is full of “if..”, “I wish..” and “later…”, and as of you too. The movie has beautiful dialogues, but I stopped after the dialogue is mentioned for a while, and was screening fast the stuff I have postponed since I was a kid! Thanks to the movie, I realized that kafi late ho gaya he yaar!! The things I could have done easily, I have made it hard to get now. (But since I am still in the phase of Robert Browning before reaching of Thomas hardy, I will try my best to work on that stuff …if possible…if I would be still alive…but later…haha!) 


    When you watch this movie, it may seem so simple, as it has only two characters meet suddenly and unexpectedly, spend a whole day together, have impromptu conversations, and separate at the end of the day. When people ask which country produces the best cinema, I always say Iran. I think that the way their movies effortlessly deliver such heavy messages makes them very charismatic. The same goes for Imtiaz Ali, the maestro who knows how to deliver impactful messages with very simple stories. What I feel is that how you show something is more crucial than what you are showing. Isn't that what art is about? Of course, the story has to be good, but when a good storyteller delivers it, it becomes more appealing, and Rahul Ranjan and Piyush Mishra are freaking good storytellers. Everyone is so enthralled by the dialogues, but the duo has interestingly used silence, pause, and slow-fast phase of conversations. They are not just experts in delivering the lines but also know what and how to deliver between the lines. 

If we talk about the title, I may not have grasped the makers’ motif behind it; what I believe that it means is that many of us just sit at the side of the ravishing sea throughout our whole life and wait for the right time to go in it, but that time never comes. Before they could wet their feet with it, the ebbing water gets very far from them, and it’s already dusk, time to return home. There are only two characters who are sharing their whole life from the point they started to understand it till they meet. They are completely different persons with different backgrounds, which have presented very thoughtfully. One had the chance but couldn’t use it, the other one didn’t even get a chance. It’s so hard to think which one would have more regrets. They are like Vladimir and Estragon, but they have already realized that they waited for Godot for their whole life, but as usual, he never came. The setting is another good point to discuss. The girl and the boy are talking and roaming in a silent (I wish I could use ‘completely silent’) city, which also reflects their inner selves. And of course, the ending gives a feel of O. Henry! Overall, it’s a well-made movie, and I wish it gets all the awards wherever it gets presented. I am really grateful to be surrounded by folks with such brilliance. (one of the very good things I have done in my life.)


    So, many people have said so many things about it (even I have freaking written longer paragraphs than the movie itself!), all I want to say is that it’s true what Rajesh Khanna says in Anand that “Zindagi lambi nahi badi honi chahie” but its also true that ye thodi lambi bhi honi bhahie, so we don’t get miss to watch such good movies. But as Nana Patekar says in Das Kahaniya that “ham sochte the life utani bhi lambi nahi hoti”, so without postponing it for later… watch it now!

Post a Comment

0 Comments

close